It was a busy day for the cake, probably the worst day as doing flooded icing can be so tiring, especially when you don't do it too often. Laura and James arrived about 10am and after a cup of tea we got going. We traced the basic outlines of the tiles onto parchment, making about 40 of each of the two tiles. We'll only need just over half that, but it's good to have some back ups!
Here Laura has some outlined tiles with firm royal icing and is starting to flood... which is to say she is filling the outlines with softer, more runny royal icing.
Flooding is very hard on the hands. You squeeze and squeeze that piping bag. We got terrific cramps and took turns spelling each other off. You can see below how hard Laura was squeezing that piping bag.
Here are the tiles in their first iteration, resting up on my bed. (They'll be moved to the spare bedroom tonight so I can sleep!) There is still a lot of work to be done to them to bring them to life. That will be Sunday. Yet again, Laura and James prove to be the most wonderful collaborators.